Top Choices for This Season
I was recently invited to be interviewed for a lovely feature, entitled Designer Insights, on the Terry’s Fabrics website. I was thrilled to take part and I thought it would be nice to share it here too. As well as a Q&A, the interview also includes my home style top choices for this season which is a selection of beautiful coral and copper geometric accessories, enjoy!
1) In your own words describe your unique style and creative aesthetic?
I enjoy a mix of contemporary and classic pieces, to construct interiors that allow homeowners to dip into pools of great design across many eras without too much limitation.
2) When starting a new project, what is your creative process?
I originally set up My Home Rocks to scrapbook inspiration for my own house renovation, so I write home design articles based around projects I’m embarking on myself, or results I aspire to.
3) Out of the creative people you have worked with, who is it that you respect and admire the most?
My favourite creative people are the readers who’ve contributed to a special section of the website entitled ‘My Home Rocks Tours’; this is where I encourage submissions from anyone (domestic or professional) who is proud of their own home design. An exchange of original ideas takes place, both with myself and with other subscribers-whether it’s an entire room redesign, or just one cleverly upcycled piece of furniture.
4) When looking for inspiration is there a particular thing you do to get inspired?
I draw inspiration from a collection of sources (trawling home style stores, magazines, google images) before dissecting the aesthetic, and considering how the look might be achieved on a budget.
5) What has brought you to this point in your career? And what is your advice for people looking to follow in your footsteps?
After working in various fields of design (web, graphics, illustration) there was a pull toward interiors which was only fully realised whilst transforming my first home. I wrote about my home style inspiration and found people were interested, if you have enough passion for something then it can be contagious.